How to get the cheapest shipping to South Africa when you are moving belongings such as boxes, parcels and luggage from the UK
Once you’ve made the big decision to relocate to South Africa, another significant question follows – what is the most cost-effective way to ship your personal belongings while still receiving top-notch service? This is a crucial question to consider as shipping costs can quickly add up, and you want to ensure that your items arrive at your new home in South Africa safely and for a good price.
Choosing which company to help ship your items to South Africa means gathering a few different quotes. It is easy to choose the cheapest quote you find, but be careful because cheaper quotes can soon become more expensive once you add up all the costs.
In this post, we are going to look into how you can find the best value for money when sending parcels, boxes and luggage from the UK to South Africa. This does not mean just looking for the cheapest at face value. You need to go through the small print to see what is and what is not included in your quote.
For more information and guide prices, take a look at our other post discussing how much it will cost to ship from the UK to South Africa. This article gives example guideline costs for removals to South Africa as well as prices for shipping boxes. Alternatively, click here for a personal quote for your shipping needs.
Is it Expensive to Ship to South Africa from the UK?
Posting smaller personal goods from the UK to South Africa can get expensive. Making the most of additional checked-in luggage with airlines is not always a cost-effective solution and most airlines apply a restriction on the number of additional bags you can board with anyway.
There is a much more economical option. Choosing to ship from the UK to South Africa by sea is cheaper than most people realise. If you use an established company that specialises in relocating people to South Africa, they can save you a lot of money. Also, when sending by sea, the more boxes you ship means the more cost-effective it is.
Low-Cost Shipping Methods to South Africa
There are various methods of shipping your personal items to South Africa at a low cost. The best method for you will hinge on the number of items to be shipped and the time frame for your arrival. Once you choose the best method for you, there are more ways of reducing costs. Check out our tips below for more guidance.
1. Cheap Parcels and Package Shipping to South Africa
Royal Mail is your go-to option if you just want to cheaply send a small parcel. But beware Royal Mail & traditional couriers are only suitable for small parcels and packages. For heavier items and larger quantities, it is financially beneficial to seek a personal shipping company like PSS International.
2. Excess Baggage / Luggage Shipping to South Africa
If your baggage exceeds the standard luggage allowance provided by your airline, it is better to look for cheaper shipping alternatives for unaccompanied baggage. Your options are:
- Airline Excess Baggage fees– choosing to add more bags to your booking can be expensive but can be a good option when booked in advance.
- Excess Baggage Service by air – air courier services, such as that offered by PSS can be beneficial for those wanting to save some money and need their belongings to arrive fast.
- Ship By Sea – the most wallet-friendly option is to have your items sent by sea. PSS International offer this service and will deliver items from door to door from the UK to South Africa.
So, the bottom line is – to get the cheapest shipping deal from the UK to South Africa you should opt for sending your goods by sea. It can take 4 to 6 weeks for a full container and 8 to 12 weeks for a shared container, but it will save you a lot of money. Try our online cost calculator to get a low-cost price for excess baggage/luggage shipping to South Africa.
3. Cheapest Way to Ship Boxes to South Africa
If you will only be shipping a small number of items or are relocating from a small flat, you can reduce your shipping costs through a box-shipping service, such as that offered by PSS International. The company will provide the boxes/cartons for you to pack your items in.
International removal or shipping companies, like PSS, usually offer a packing service as well. You can save more money by doing your own packing. PSS International will offer you a discount when sending more boxes.
Undoubtedly, this can be a great option for many heading for South Africa, but it is not an adequate shipping method for those that need to ship large pieces of furniture.
4. Cheapest Way to Ship Furniture to South Africa
The cheapest way to ship furniture to South Africa from the UK is by using an international removal company. When you consider the distance between the two countries, the price of sending furniture and large items surprises many people – in a good way!
International removals require the help of an international shipping company with expertise in packing and handling large items. Customers have the option to book a 20 or 40-foot container to relocate many possessions or large items.
If you ship a smaller number of items, you can save more money by sharing a container with other people migrating to South Africa from the UK.
PSS International regularly help people move to South Africa so we can help you save money by grouping your belongings with other customers.
5. Cheap Car and Vehicle Shipping to South Africa
Vehicles can be more expensive in South Africa, which is why many people choose to ship their cars there too. There are different options when it comes to sending your car on a long “road” trip. These methods include:
- If you are shipping personal effects, shipping your car along with your furniture in a large container is cheaper than a RORO option and is certainly more convenient.
- Even if you do not have enough belongings to ship with your car for a full container, you can save money by shipping it in a shared container (groupage).
- RORO – the Roll On and Roll Off method may appear to be the cheapest method at face value, but you need to consider further costs. This option requires extra time and money to drop it off at a UK port and pick it up from a South African port. The quotes for this method will usually exclude other fees such as customs clearance fees. It may be cheaper to use a container service over the long haul.
More information about cheap car and vehicle shipping to South Africa here.
Tips on How to Get the Cheapest Shipping Quote for South Africa
Now you have had a crash course on common methods of shipping to South Africa, we would like to give you even more tips on how to save more money.
- Shipping by sea to South Africa is more cost-effective than using air freight.
- Choose a shipping company that is known for being experts at shipping to South Africa from the UK. Companies with experience have good connections and can get the best deals for you.
- Check quotes carefully to understand what is and what is not included in the price.
- Clear out your unwanted possessions before requesting quotes. This will make sure you choose the right type of service and get a more accurate quote.
- On the other hand, remember that many things in South Africa can be more expensive than in the UK or even unavailable. Paying more for shipping can save you over the long term as you will not have to pay increased prices to replace furniture and other items – the costs can soon add up.
- Book well in advance with shipping companies so they can get you the best possible price.
- Some periods of the year offer cheaper shipping to South Africa than other times of the year. For example, shipping in January, February, October and November can be more expensive.
- Remember that the shipping price per cubic foot reduces with the more items you choose to ship.
- Do not be shy to ask for expert advice. Consult the shipping company on important forms and documents to make sure your relocation goes smoothly. The best companies will be happy to help.
- Packing your own personal goods can save you money, but be careful as this can hike up the price of your insurance premiums.
- Investing in marine insurance or shipment protection is crucial but consider the specific items you cover. E.g. you may not need to include your older clothes or bedding.
Warning: Is Your Shipping Quote Too Cheap?
If something seems too good to be true it is probably not what it seems at all. The same applies to shipping quotes that are remarkably cheap.
The international shipping market is very competitive so there is not usually much between the prices quoted from the best and most experienced companies. If you encounter a significantly cheaper quote, remember to check the small print and look at what is and what is not included. You are likely to find that it does not provide the same service as the higher quotes. Ultimately, it may not be the cheapest shipping price, let alone the best service, in the long run.
Some things to remember include:
- Port-to-port services are cheaper but door-to-door services are more convenient and most likely the only practical option.
- Are all the quotes you are receiving for shipping the same volume and are they covering all the items you want to send?
- Do your quotes cover packing and materials, customs clearance and delivery?
- Is your shipping/removals company using cheaper but unaccredited shipping lines, thereby putting your belongings at great risk?
- Are they using quality export standard packaging materials?
- Does your shipping company have BAR Overseas or FIDI FAIM accreditation? This is essential to ensure you receive a secure and quality service.
Why PSS International Removals Can Offer Low-Cost Shipping to South Africa
Equipped with the advice and tips above, you will have a much more seamless and cost-effective shipping experience. Most importantly, you will be able to find a reputable and cheap shipping option to South Africa with no nasty surprises or hidden fees.
PSS International offer relatively cheap and reasonable quotes on shipping your personal possessions from your door in the UK to your new home in South Africa.
There are many reasons why we can offer lower rates compared to our competitors:
- PSS International has specialised in UK to South Africa shipping for over 40 years.
- We help thousands of UK residents move to South Africa each year.
- Due to the number of people we relocate, we have good partnerships that afford us cheaper rates without compromising on service.
- We have vast experience, which makes us just as efficient as we are affordable.
- We help you with the obstacles and hurdles of bureaucratic procedures when shipping to South Africa.
- PSS can also offer the best rates for air freight for a quicker service on urgent items.
- We only employ skilled, trained and professional export packers to handle your belongings. All your belongings are kept secure and safe with us.
- We respond to queries and concerns in an efficient manner because our staff are knowledgeable and experienced.
- Our very low claims rate means we can pass further savings on to you.
- We go the extra mile to provide you with even more tips about packing and specific items to ship.
Shipping to South Africa – Get Your Quote Today
So if you are moving to South Africa including popular destinations such as Cape Town, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth, then do not hesitate to contact us for a no-obligation and free quote. Our team will be happy to assist with all of your questions and can discuss the shipping options available so you get the best price and the best value for money.
We aim to provide you not only the cheapest shipping quote but also the best service!
For further information on our services, please visit the following links: