Careers in Australia are as varied and diverse as you would expect from a country as varied and diverse as it is. However, whether you can pursue your chosen career will be dependent upon the working visas available within the sector in which you wish to work.

To work in Australia you need an Australian Visa with work rights. There are a huge array of temporary and permanent skill visas available, it’s just a case of finding the right one for you and applying through the relevant channels. In most instances you will have to be officially sponsored by an employer before your visa is granted. Most work visas are based upon age and relevant experience.

You can begin your job search by looking at SkillSelect: (

This is the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website and helps manage the country’s skilled migration programme. Through this scheme you register an expression of interest before waiting to hear if you have been selected for interview. If your application is successful the scheme will arrange the relevant visas.

This page also lists the career opportunities currently on offer (accountants and software and applications programmers). It also places notifications on jobs that have reached their current limit or ‘ceiling’ (currently ICT Business and Systems Analysts). Look further and you’ll find jobs that have reached their quota and those that are still welcoming applications.

Away from SkillSet both the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) list and Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL) highlight jobs available and information about whereabouts in Australia they are located.

Everything from Production Manager, Child Care Centre Manager and Land Economist are listed here. You might also find work if you are an Architect, Chemical Engineer,

Secondary School Teacher or Veterinary Surgeon. You could even get in if you’re a Horse Breeder.

A full list for both and information about the difference between a SOL and CSOL can be found at: and

There is currently a general shortage of doctors, nurses and GPs in Australia and applications are welcomed. More information can be found here:

If you’re not planning a big move but fancy a few months away, you can apply for a Seasonal Worker, temporary visa which allows you to stay in the country for 14 weeks – six months. You can work anywhere in horticulture or in limited locations in tourism, sugar cane and cotton farming.

Finally, in a country that is as diverse as Australia it’ll come as no surprise that each state has very specific needs and requirements. Some regions have key employment opportunities in construction and health (Canberra) others in the Northern Territories list everything from butcher to fruit and nut grower! Whilst in Victoria there are occupations listed in human resources, biotechnology and sciences and engineering and building. All the information you need can be found by clicking on the links below:

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

Northern Territory


South Australia



Western Australia

For more information about how PSS International can help you make your move to Australia visit

PSS International Removals is a family run company and our desire is to ensure your family receive a friendly, professional and stress free overseas move. We have specialised in international removals for over 32 years, so whether you are planning on sending a full or part household removal, excess baggage or a vehicle we recognise the importance in ensuring that our customers receive the same level of care and attention that we would expect ourselves.