Average shipping costs to Singapore from UK for parcels, boxes and shipping containers. How to get the cheapest quotes if you are moving to Singapore.
Singapore remains one of the most popular cities to move to and no wonder since it offers amazing work opportunities and a great quality of life. After making the decision to move to Singapore the next thing you will want to do is get an idea of shipping costs to Singapore so you can organise the shipping of your personal belongings.
This guide will give an estimate on the price of a container or part container to Singapore and also detail the other costs involved that may not be part of your main quote. We will also talk about the cost of shipping boxes and why it may be actually cheaper to ship boxes by air freight rather than by sea.
Mailing or posting parcels to Singapore is only suitable for very small packages. For large packages and boxes, shipping with courier companies is very expensive. Personal shipping companies like PSS are therefore the perfect solution.
NB: For answers to most of your shipping questions you can also read our comprehensive Guide to Shipping to Singapore from the UK.
International Removal Costs and Prices to Singapore for 2023
- International Removal Costs and Prices to Singapore for 2023
- How long does shipping take from UK to Singapore?
- Guide to Singapore Shipping Costs
- Cost of Sending Boxes / Excess Baggage to Singapore From the UK
- Cost of Air Freight to Singapore
- Cost of Sending Parcels to Singapore
- Getting an Accurate Shipping Quote or Estimate
- Costs for Shipping Personal Effects and Household Goods
- What’s Included in the Price for International Removals?
- Cost of Car and Vehicle Shipping to Singapore
- Cheapest Shipping to Singapore – Warning
- Why Singapore Shipping Estimates Vary
- Getting a Discount On Your Shipping to Singapore.
- What’s Not Included In Your Quote – Additional Charges and Fees
- Customs Duties, Taxes and Other Fees
- Shipment Protection and Marine Insurance
- Get a Quote For Shipping To Singapore From the UK
Household Container Shipping Rates to Singapore From the UK
The prices listed here are based on the contents of an average UK property and include delivery to an address in Singapore. The cost of shipping to precise locations in Singapore will vary depending on distance from port, access and the building floor.
UK to Singapore
(80 cubic feet)
|1 Bed Flat
(250 cubic feet)
|2 Bed Flat
(500 cubic feet)
|3 Bed House
(20 ft container)
|4+ Bed House
(40 ft container)
*Box shipping prices are for self-pack, economy size cartons.
NB: The shipping prices and rates listed above are approximate shipping costs to Singapore for 2023. For more accurate prices, please contact PSS for a quote (see removals to Singapore).
Many websites list port-to-port costs for shipping containers to Singapore. These can significantly underestimate the actual costs for non-commercial users. The prices listed here are for a full door-to-door removals service aimed at people shipping their personal effects.
How long does shipping take from UK to Singapore?
Average Sea Freight Shipping Times From UK to Singapore
|Air Freight||5-10 days|
|Sea Freight (Full Container)||4-6 weeks|
|Sea Freight (Shared Container)||5-9 weeks|
Guide to Singapore Shipping Costs
Cost of Sending Boxes / Excess Baggage to Singapore From the UK
Excess Baggage and box shipping services are ideal for shipping smaller quantities of items / luggage. Large items such as furniture will require a removals service.
The prices below include self-packing although professional packing services are available. Costs per box improve as the quantity or volume shipped increases.
Boxes are based on ecomomy shipping cartons, measuring 46 x 46 x 46 cm (3.4 cubic feet), weighing no more than 30kg each.
Cost of Air Freight to Singapore
Air freight to Singapore is much faster and cost effective especially when you compare to airline excess baggage rates.
Air freight prices to Singapore are calculated based on volumetric weight which is a combination of weight in kg and shipment volume.
Our advisers will be able to give you the best quote based on your circumstances. Even though air freight is not cheaper, the cost difference compared to how much time you save may make it worthwhile.
Cost of Sending Parcels to Singapore
Shipping small parcels to Singapore can be done quite cheaply via Royal Mail. For example a small 2kg parcel can be posted for around £20 by air mail. But 2kg is the maximum size – for larger parcels they recommend Parcel Force and the costs very quickly become too expensive. Therefore if you are moving to Singapore or plan to stay for a longer period, specialist box shipping services to Singapore as offered by PSS International are a very attractive option.
Getting an Accurate Shipping Quote or Estimate
Your shipping costs will be based on the volume (cubic feet) that you ship. It is important therefore to get an accurate quote based on what you want to send.
The best way to do this is through an estimator visiting your house, although now some shipping companies like PSS offer video surveys via a mobile app, or online calculators where you list what you wish to send.
Check everything you need to ship. Don’t forget hidden cupboards, attics, sheds, garages and anything stored at another site – it all adds up
If you need to take extra items not included in your original quotation it will likely increase the amount you need to pay. However, if you reduce your volume your shipping estimate may decrease.
Costs for Shipping Personal Effects and Household Goods
This article assumes you are moving to Singapore and shipping household or personal effects. You will therefore be less liable to pay taxes and other charges. Household goods and personal effects include everything from furniture and clothes to bicycles, golf clubs and other used personal items.
For new items and commercial goods, other conditions, duties and costs may apply.
What’s Included in the Price for International Removals?
The price estimates quoted here are based on a full international removals service to various locations in Singapore. This service is designed for people moving overseas or shipping personal effects and is much more comprehensive than using a freight forwarder or shipping port to port.
- Door-to-door service (including pick up and delivery)
- Professional export standard packing materials and cartons.
- Use of reliable, regulated shipping lines such as Ocean Network Express (ONE), Maersk, Hapag Lloyd and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC).
- Advice & assistance with completing forms, & other paperwork.
- Customs inventory – numbering and listing of all packages.
- UK & destination Port/Terminal handling charges.
- Ocean freight to arrival vessel destination port.
- Customs Clearance, haulage of container and unloading.
- Some Storage may be included in UK or Singapore.
- Delivery of household effects to the residence, unwrapping and removal of packing materials (assumes good access and not above the first floor).
Cost of Car and Vehicle Shipping to Singapore
There are two main methods for shipping cars to Singapore – in a shipping container or using a RORO (Roll-On-Roll-Off) service. If you are shipping other household goods it’s worth seeing if you can save money by shipping them in the same container.
Cars, bikes, motor homes, caravans, motorbikes, boats can all to be shipped to Singapore. Some vehicles, especially motor homes and caravans, may be too wide or tall to fit in a shipping container and will need to be shipped RORO.
There are restrictions on what cars and other vehicles can be shipped to Singapore from the UK. You will need to check that your vehicle meets these criteria.
For a quote and full details of the costs of shipping and importing vehicles to Singapore, please click here to visit our car shipping page or call our advisers on 020 8686 7733.
Cheapest Shipping to Singapore – Warning
We have noticed that some shipping companies give misleading quotes for cheap shipping to Singapore. If you receive an estimate that seems very cheap compared to other shipping company quotes, please check carefully what is included.
We have frequently come across people who have been given a port-to-port price rather than a door-to-door price.
Most reputable shipping and international removal companies will have fairly similar costs and estimates. Cheap shipping quotes may look attractive on the surface but often have hidden costs or shortcuts which could put your belongings at risk.
Main Reasons For Cheap Shipping Quotes For Singapore Can Include:
- Port-to-port rather than door-to-door delivery.
- Your quote is not for a full removals service including packing, customs clearance, delivery etc.
- The shipping company are using low cost shipping lines which may be cheaper but your belongings are at greater risk of delays, damages or even loss.
- Unacceptable lower grade packing materials or not professionally packed.
- Some charges & fees added on as extra so the headline quote looks cheap.
- Removal/shipping company is not BAR or FIDI regulated.
- The quote is cheaper as it does not include customs clearance and handling.
- Unregulated or unreliable agents used at destination.
Why Singapore Shipping Estimates Vary
The shipping quotation you are given is an estimate and your final invoice may be different for a number of reasons.
This is the case with all shipping companies as much can change between receiving your quote and your actual moving or shipping day.
- Exchange rate fluctuations.
- Additional items being added that were not included in the original quotation.
- Increases in port/shipping fees and other charges in between receiving your estimate and your actual departure.
- Varying costs and charges for different ports and shipping lines.
- Seasonal variations (time of year).
Getting a Discount On Your Shipping to Singapore.
Being flexible or planning your move date can help get a lower price on your shipping/move costs. During peak season, costs are likely to be higher and in quieter periods shipping companies may offer discounts and promotions to help fill containers.
Quantity discounts are also available, so it could well be cheaper for you to ship more of your belongings rather than buy everything new in Singapore where they may be expensive to replace.
What’s Not Included In Your Quote – Additional Charges and Fees
There are a number of additional charges and fees that are the responsibility of you as the owner rather than the removals / shipping company and these are not included in standard quotes. Some fees and charges will need to be paid separately at your destination.
- Customs fees, duties and other charges payable to Government bodies (see below).
- Wooden crates and antique wrapping for delicate items if required.
- Additional charges for difficult access, e.g. above the first floor or if a shuttle service is needed to transport belongings from your house to the container.
- Additional storage time in the UK or at the destination before delivery.
- Shipment protection cover/insurance.
- Parking permits, charges or associated fees for suspension /dispensation in order to facilitate removal in the UK or delivery at destination.
Customs Duties, Taxes and Other Fees
Singaporean customs duties and import taxes are the responsibility of the person shipping and will need to be paid separately to Singapore Customs, although the local shipping agent at your destination port may handle these for you.
Fortunately many people including immigrants, returning expats, students and even people on work and visitor visas can ship household goods and personal effects to Singapore duty free. However, some restrictions apply and customs regulations are subject to change so we suggest you check that you have the most up to date information.
A FIDI Guide to Singapore Customs is available here.
If you don’t meet the criteria for household effects or your goods are deemed commercial imports then customs duties and tax may apply. The Singapore Government website provides more details here.
Shipment Protection and Marine Insurance
How Much Does Shipment Protection or Insurance Cost to Singapore?
Accredited shipping companies, like PSS, who are members of BAR, are covered by the Advance Payment Guarantee scheme. Although this guarantees the payment and cost of removal in the rare event that your removal company cannot complete your move, you should also consider protection for your belongings.
Shipment protection and insurance costs vary between companies and depending on whether it is self-packed or packed by the shipping/removals company.
Self-packed tends to be higher as it is not packed by professional packers.
Expect to pay anything from 3% to 7% of the total value of your goods.
(Some removals companies will allow you to select which particular items you wish to cover so this can save you significantly on your insurance costs).
Get a Quote For Shipping To Singapore From the UK
If you are moving to Singapore, PSS International Removals will be happy to help. Fore nearly 40 years we have helped thousands of people and families to move or ship belongings to Singapore. No matter whether you are a first time migrant or a Singaporean returning home, PSS can offer you the best prices on shipping for household removals, boxes of personal effects and also cars.
Singapore is one of our top shipping destinations. Due to our years of experience and the high volumes we ship, we are able to offer our customers the best service at the lowest prices.
To get an estimate or quote call the PSS team on 020 8686 7733.
For more information or to get an online quote:
The Port of Singapore – one of the busiest container ports in the world